Don’t let one person bring down the rest! Different employee personalities in the workplace can cause major workplace disruptions. Unfortunately, these disruptions tend to happen during your busiest times; planting and harvest (due to longer hours, increased stress). A stressed-out, unhappy worker will not be as productive as a happy worker.
Tips to Proactively Manage Employee Attitudes in the Workplace
- Reduce workplace stress
- Work employees in shifts to help cut down on the long hours
- Allow employees to take longer breaks if they have to work long hours. Maybe they can go home to eat dinner but come back to finish up the work.
- Hold all employees accountable to the same policies and procedures
Establish a Simple Conflict Resolution Mechanism
Conflict is going to happen in the workplace if you have people, but remember not all conflict is bad. Differing opinions are good – just determine how you are going to handle a disagreement in the workplace before it happens. Learn the best way to defuse these situations.
- Develop a recognition program for your employees – This shows that you recognize and value what they do in the workplace.
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate – You can never communicate too much! Let’s face it; employees need to hear the same thing at least 3 times.
- Give employees immediate feedback (Keep it direct and to the point!)
Let the Employee Know Their Behavior Affects the Rest of the Team
Let your employees know that poor attitudes are a performance issue, and make employees feel appreciated for all of the hard work they do for you. Delaying conversations can make it look as though undesirable behaviors are acceptable in the workplace. This can cause top performance to start slacking off as employees begin to think that going above and beyond isn’t noticed or rewarded in the workplace.
Farms that choose to be reactive instead of proactive will experience:
- Low Morale
- Decreased Productivity
- Increased Mistakes
- Increased Absenteeism
- High Turnover
- Unhappy Landowners
Don’t Let One Employee Bring Down the Rest! Be Proactive and Take Action TODAY!